Welch ends Wooten’s run
Published 10:39 pm Sunday, July 14, 2013
Billy Welch of Reeltown, Ala., ended the run of Jerome Wooten of Kansas City, Mo., Saturday when he won the singles division of the World Championship Domino Tournament.
Welch won the doubles division last year. Wooten had won the singles division in four of the previous five years, and won both the singles and doubles in 2010.
Chris Authement, the tournament’s snappiest dresser and a native of Baton Rouge, La., came in third. He was followed by:
• Fourth – Luke Pike of Philadelphia, Miss.
• Fifth – Max Bender of Lawton, Okla.
• Sixth – John Clenney Sr. of DeFuniak Springs
• Seventh – Judge Will Matthews of Ozark
• Eighth – Ethan Dorsey of Andalusia.
The team of Jimmy Hulsey of Weatherford, Okla., and Markus Garrett of Calera, Okla., won first place in the doubles division. They defeated Pleas Parker of Hartford and Sammy Mahaffey of Montgomery in the finals.
They were followed by:
• Third – Mark Jackson of Ft. Worth and Stephen Darby of Andalusia
• Fourth – Steve Hanners of Lineville, Ala., and Doyle Moore of Lawrence, Miss.
• Fifth – John Williams of Atmore and Leroy Robinson of Kansas City, Mo.
• Sixth – Mike Meadows of Milbrook and Jerome Wooten of Kansas City, Mo.
• Seventh – Rex Andrews of Ozark and D.T. Whitfield of Booneville, Miss.; • Eighth – Larry George of Booneville, Miss., and Kenneth Clemmons of Shannon, Miss.
Adult Singles Consolation
Winners in the adult singles consolation were:
• First – Sammy Mahaffey of Montgomery
• Second – Rick Patterson of Edna, Texas
• Third – Bob Parker of Ozark
• Fourth – Robert Hadley of Uriah.
Winners in the adult doubles consolation were:
• First – Jimmy Baker of Ozark and Richard Ramsey of Crystal Springs, Miss.
• Second – Kenneth Curtis of Waharton, Texas and Edward Elling of Indeahoma, Okla.
• Third – Gary Baugher of Caney Okla, and Larry Jackson of Bokchito, Okla.
• Fourth – Joey Henke of Hallettsville, Texas and Ethan Dorsey of Andalusia.