Ground broken for Dixon chapel
Lyman Ward Military Academy last week held a formal groundbreaking ceremony on campus for its new Dixon All Faith Chapel.
Primary funding for the chapel has been provided by the Solon Dixon Foundation of Andalusia, as well as the John Downs Family; the John Watson Family; the Ashburn Foundation, and Jeremy Farber of the LWMA Class of 1995.
COL Bill Jenrette, chairman of the LWMA Board of Trustees and former president of the Academy, dedicated the chapel to the glory of God and the use of future generations of cadets.
Plans are for the new chapel to be completed by late Spring 2014. The $1.4 million, 308-seat structure will be used for weekly religious services for cadets, faculty, and staff, as well as convocations, community events, and weddings.
The chapel replaces the previous Dixon All Faith Chapel, which was destroyed in a fire in the Summer of 2006. The new chapel, which is much larger than the previous one, will include offices, classrooms, a reception area, and a modern commercial kitchen.
The beautifully appointed building will be constructed on a hillside site overlooking the Futch Parade Field and the athletic complex. The original chapel, as well as the home of the school’s founder, Dr. Lyman Ward, occupied the same site.
Established in 1898, Lyman Ward is Alabama’s official military secondary school. The historic boarding school serves students in grades 6 – 12 from across the United States and other countries. It is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/AdvancEd.