Big run lifts Lady Tigers

Published 12:03 am Saturday, January 18, 2014

Straughn’s Katelyn Kinsaul drives to the basket after a steal Friday night. The Lady Tigers upended Southside Selma 59-32. | Andrew Garner/Star-News

Straughn’s Katelyn Kinsaul (5), Katie Lindsey (4), Emily Wood and Paige Taylor play during their team’s win Friday night. The Lady Tigers upended Southside Selma 59-32. | Andrew Garner/Star-News

Sometimes playing with intensity is the way to go.

Straughn turned the intensity up in the third period and went on a 20-0 run that helped surge the Lady Tigers to a 59-32 victory over Southside Selma on Friday night.

With this win, the Lady Tigers claim the Class 3A, Area 2 regular-season title and win the right to host the area tournament, which takes place early in February.

The Lady Panthers took control in the first half, getting to the bucket on easy layups. SSHS led 12-11 at the end of the first and led 26-19 at halftime.

“We didn’t have any intensity (in the first half) and you’ve got to give all the credit to the girls in the third quarter,” SHS coach Scott Kinsaul said. “They made it happen. They played the defense and made shots and moved the ball. That was probably one of the best quarters I’ve seen since I’ve been here.”

The third-ranked Lady Tigers (17-1, 4-0) outscored the Lady Panthers 40-6 in the second half, holding them to no points in the fourth period.

Straughn’s third quarter started with a steal and a missed shot on the offensive end. However, Paige Taylor made another steal for the team and made two free throws to get the scoring going.

A big part of the Lady Tigers’ success in the third came because of their pressure to force turnovers.

Katelyn Kinsaul got a steal and passed to Jacie Williamson for an easy layin to cut the lead to 26-23.

Williamson, who led SHS with 32 points, then made three foul shots to tie the game at 26-all. For the night, Williamson went 16-for-19 from the line.

Emily Wood got the ball to Williamson a little later to increase the run to 16-0 and for a 35-26 lead.

Kinsaul made two free throws, and Williamson added two more for a 39-26 advantage before Southside stopped the bleeding with a steal and layup.

Straughn, who has been working on not committing fouls, only committed one during the third period.

“I told them to play defense with your feet, not your hands,” Kinsaul said. “We’ve been bad about that and we’ve been working on it.”

SHS led 45-32 after the third period.

Harley Adcock passed the ball to Brentley Armstrong for a bucket and a 57-32 advantage in the fourth period.

“I wanted to thank the students for coming out tonight,” Kinsaul said. “They helped us out a lot.”