Sharpe family celebrates 68th reunion on Christmas Eve
Published 12:00 am Saturday, February 8, 2014
On Dec. 24, 2013, the Sharpe family had their 68th consecutive reunion.
The patriarchs of the Sharpe family – Jeptha Sharp and his wife, Leona Smith Sharp – started out in the Loango area. The couple then moved to Red Level and farmed just north of Buck Creek Church. Mrs. Sharp had her hands full with 15 children, but two died at birth. Both Jeptha and Leona passed away in 1945, and the suggestion was made to have the family get together each year starting in 1946 on Christmas Eve.
Of the 13 original children, all have passed on except for three – Earl Sharpe of Destin Fla., Jesse Sharpe of Ozark and Lucy Sharpe Kilgore of Red Level. Jesse Sharpe was the only sibling to attend this year. Lucy is almost 96 years young and her health would not let her walk and sit for long periods of time. She really hates to miss these events. This was only the third time she had missed and Earl Sharpe just recently fell and broke his arm and was not able to come up for the event.
About 44 people attended this year’s event. Each person was asked to sign a registry, so their names could be included in this article. If your name is not listed, it’s your own fault! Everyone seemed to enjoy the gathering, there was sun most of the day and the weather was cool but turned out great. A big fire was burning in the fireplace and kept people gathered around it all day. There was groups discussing births and death during the past year and catching up on all the event from last year.
Each year a different family is in charge of hosting the event.
This year the host was Gene Sharpens boys: Glenn and Terry Sharpe, with lots of help from their wives and Steve’s wife, Kathryn. Billy Joe was in the hospital and was not going to be able to attend, but he talked the nurses into letting him out long enough to come over and eat.
All the tables were covered with red and green cloths, and food was lined up, chicken and dumplings, ham, potato casserole, chicken, salads, cakes and pies. Those attending brought a covered dish or two.
Jesse Sharpe said a few words and then gave thanks. He reminded us … what this event is in memory of and what we all should be celebrating at Christmas.
The Lucy Sharpe Kilgore family will host the 2014 reunion and ask that all decedents of the Sharpe clan come to the reunion.
Those in attendance were:
• the Gene Sharpe family: Terry Sharpe and wife Mary Jane. Steve Sharpe’s wife Kathryn; daughter Jill Sharpe and friend Bob Howell. Billy Joe Sharpe and his friend Jennie Brooks. Billy Joe’s daughter Leanne and her husband Brandon Stewart and daughter Kayle and Olivia. Billy Joe’s other daughter Laura Sharpe also attended. Glenn Sharpe and Barbara Griffin.
• the Virgie Wright family: Buddy and Sara June Smith, their daughter, Karen and Ricky Price. Farrell and Rosalyn Wright, their son Robert Wright and children Ashley, Whitney and Taylor Wright. Peggy Wright, her son Tommy and wife Sherry Wright, their daughters, Sheridan and Jamisyn Wright. Max Wright and his daughter and son Shelia Crissey and Jimmy Wright.
• the Jim Sharpe family: Jimmy Joe Sharpe and wife Sandy;
• the Lucy Sharpe Kilgore family: Ronnie Kilgore; and,
• the Jesse Sharpe family: Jesse and wife Jeari, their sons Rodney and Richard and his wife Georgia Ann, their daughter Amelia Sharpe and their son Mason and wife Lauren Sharpe and son Jacob.
A great time of fellowship and food was enjoyed by all in attendance. It is great to see the cousins and relatives we have not seen in years.