Straughn overcomes deficit for 46-31 win

Published 12:41 am Saturday, September 20, 2014

0920 straughn catch

By Michael Henderson/For the Star-News

Straughn came from behind and trampled Trinity Presbyterian 46-31 on Friday night at Tiger Stadium.

Tigers head football coach Trent Taylor said the boys improved as the game went along.

“We started slow in the first half,” he said.

The Tigers started the ball game with a 35-yard kickoff return by Daryl George, but their first offensive series resulted in a turnover on downs.

Trinity Presbyterian opened their possession with a 52-yard carry by junior Jake Turk, who played a crucial part in the game for the Wildcats.

TPS got on the board first on a short-range field goal with 6:20 left in the first quarter to take a 3-0 lead.

Both teams traded punts on their next possessions, but the Wildcats struck again when Chandler Barrow took a rare Rollin Kinsaul interception for a touchdown with 33 seconds left in the first quarter to make it 10-0.

The start of the second quarter called for a pass from Kinsaul to Brice Scott for a total of 40 yards, followed by a 5-yard rush for a touchdown by George to cut the lead at 10-7 with 11:14 left in the first half.

Trinity’s Preston Etheredge didn’t find any grass as he was tackled for a no gain, but on the next play, he connected for a touchdown. The Wildcats led 17-7 with 7:53 left in the first half.

Straughn then started an impressive drive with an 18-yard run by Kinsaul, who followed that up with an 11-yard pass to Marshall Farley. Jarvaris Samuel rushed for a gain of 13 yards before Kinsaul took it in for an 8-yard score to put the Tigers within striking distance at 17-13.

The following offensive drive would be back and forth between Kinsaul and Scott, until the Tigers’ quarterback threw a pass to freshman Ethan Wilson, who caught it one handed on the sideline at the Wildcat 4.

Kinsaul then took it in for a touchdown and pass to Scott, who was in for the 2-point conversion, setting the score at 21-17 for the Tigers’ first lead of the game with 10 seconds left in the first half.

After a failed Trinity 46-yard field goal to start the second half, Straughn then drove down field while George took it in from 34 yards back. The PAT bounced off the uprights, making it 27-17 with 1:30 left in the third.

SHS scored yet again with a 48-yard pass to Scott. Scott took it around the left, falling short of the 2-point conversion, setting a 33-17 lead with 10:09 left in the game. Straughn took advantage of a turnover on the ensuing kickoff to drive the field for a TD with 9:11 in the fourth quarter.

Trinity finally caught their footing as they traveled down to score with 4:19 in the game.

Now at 39-25, Straughn received an onside kick and in one play, George rushed for a 45-yard touchdown.

The Wildcats tacked on one more score with 3:01 left in the game to get it to 46-31.