Bulldogs host Hornets for homecoming

Published 12:03 am Friday, October 3, 2014

1003 spt-DeVante Jackso

Andalusia’s DeVante Jackson tries for a catch during the Opp game last week. The Bulldogs take on Bullock County tonight for homecoming. | Andrew Garner/Star-News

Andalusia isn’t going to let the threat of wet weather dampen its spirits as the Bulldogs host Bullock County for homecoming tonight.

The National Weather Service out of Mobile is calling for a 70 percent chance of precipitation today with a 30 percent tonight.

Bulldogs head football coach Brian Seymore said the weather is a concern with all of the activities going on, adding that it’s the officials’ call.

“If it’s lightning, of course, they’ll take a delay and you can’t go back out there after a certain amount of time — 30-45 minutes after the last lightning,” Seymore said. “I’ve heard reports that it may move out before game time. So, we’ll have to wait and see.”

The NWS did say that it will be mostly cloudy tonight with some clearing.

Seymore said the weather will not mess with the team’s pre-game routine.

“We’ve been running out of the power-based scheme these last two weeks,” he said. “We have been working on our spread stuff again. We hope to get enough folks healthy. We’ll mix it up both ways offensively and get something going we had going in the past.”

Andalusia (2-4, 1-2 in Class 4A, Region 2) is coming off of a thrilling 28-27 overtime win against rival Opp last week.

Seymore said he hopes the players continue to use last week’s momentum going into this week’s game against the Hornets.

“The way we won it and how fast we won it — being down double digits in the fourth quarter, we just found a way to scrap and claw,” he said. “That was big for our kids, for our psychy and confidence.”

Bullock County (2-3, 0-3), more known for its basketball talent, has athletes on the field.

“They mix it up also,” Seymore said. “They’ve gone from the I formations to the spread. The major concern in these next couple games is to see if we can get a little bit better because it’s an opportunity for us to bond together as a team and grow as a team.

“It’s an opportunity for us to get some guys back who have been injured and see if we can put the right people in the right spots in this stretch run,” he said.

Andalusia basically has to win these next two games — tonight against BCHS and next week at Headland — to be in the playoff picture.

Fortunately, the Bulldogs are the healthiest they’ve been all year.

AHS senior Derrick Dorsey will be returning at the starting position at running back. He’ll also see time at linebacker tonight. Ashton Elmore will be back tonight and will play at linebacker.

James Montgomery, a junior running back, injured his ankle during last week’s win and hopefully will be ready to go by game time.

Seymore said if Montgomery isn’t ready to go, then Jamal Hourel will step in.

“This week week a lot more people will get some reps,” he said. “We’re hoping to use more people on both sides of the ball. I hate to say it, but we’re still making evaluations. It can be a good thing because you’re building depth.”