Straughn dominates Catholic

Published 12:19 am Saturday, October 4, 2014

1004 spt-Juquan Samuel (3) rushes

Juquan Samuel rushes during Straughn’s 46-14 victory over Catholic. | Andrew Garner/Star-News

Straughn put the “D” in dominant in a 46-14 homecoming victory over Montgomery Catholic on Friday night at Tigers Stadium.

From the start of the game, the fifth-ranked Tigers had the Knights by the cleat straps as their front lines took control and dictated the line of play. In the first quarter, SHS scored three touchdowns, nabbed a safety and led 23-0 going into the second.

At halftime, SHS led 32-0.

Montgomery Catholic got the ball rolling on its first possession with Thomas Stokes Jr. giving the Tigers some trouble with his running game.

SHS made some adjustments and MCS couldn’t answer for the rest of the game.

Tigers head football coach Trent Taylor said the coaching staff went into last night’s game thinking it was going to be tough.

“It’s good to have these kinds of wins, although we didn’t know it was going to be this kind of win, to be honest,” Taylor said. “Their fullback (Stokes) showed us right at the beginning what he’s capable of. He’s a good player.

“At the end of the game, their depth and stuff like that wore them down,” he said. “We played well.”

Straughn improves to 5-1 overall, and 3-1 in Class 4A, Region 2 after the win. The Tigers visit Ashford next week.

Tigers senior quarterback Rollin Kinsaul, who was responsible for three touchdowns on the night, scooted in from 20 yards with 9:02 left in the first to get the ball rolling.

After trading turnovers, the Knights were backed up at their own 2, when two plays later, Tigers’ Hunter Barnes made the tackle on Sherman Grant in the end zone for a safety and 9-0 advantage.

With good field position, SHS completed a 15-yard march with a 2-yard TD rush from Jarvaris Samuel with 5:55 left in the opening quarter.

The Knights were forced on a three and out and Straughn’s Barrett Bush blocked the punt to give his team another set of downs at the MCS 21.

From there, Kinsaul connected for his first TD pass of the night to Brice Scott from 23 yards. With the extra point kick from C.J. Philpott, the Tigers led 23-0.

Two MCS three-and-outs later, the Tigers drove 60 yards to the Knight 10, where Philpott nailed a 27-yard field goal with 6:15 left in the first half.

With 1:48 left in the first half, Kinsaul then found Allan George for an 8-yard TD strike to give his Tigers a 32-0 lead at halftime.

Kinsaul finished the night 7-of-12 for 100 yards and two touchdowns in the air, and rushed for 40 yards on six carries and a score.

After penalties were ensued on the opening half kickoff, the SHS didn’t fray as Daryl George found 85 yards of crown-shaped field grass for a touchdown with 11:23 left in the third quarter. Philpott’s PAT made it 39-0.

Fortunately, with this kind of lead, the Tigers can send in their B-team for some needed action. When running back Juquan Samuel scored from 5 yards with 8:29 left in the third, the clock went to a running 6-minute clock for the rest of the game.

The Knights finally managed to put seven points on the board when Stokes took it 65 yards to the house with 5:43 left in the third. MCS scored its last touchdown on an 18-yard rush from Grant with 3:15 left in the game.

George led SHS with 118 yards on six carries. Jarvaris Samuel had 69 and Juquan Samuel had 57 yards.

“We dominated the line of scrimmage,” the coach said. “They put a lot of guys in the box and from an offensive stand points, it makes it tough. It’s one of those things that we wanted to work on. We wanted to throw the ball a little bit more and stuff like that, but we didn’t.”