Opp mayor: All OK after chlorine scare

Published 1:59 am Saturday, October 18, 2014

A few Opp residents were evacuated from their homes after a resident reported smelling chlorine in the air.

Covington County EMA director Susan Harris said the Opp Fire Department coordinated the response, and called hazmat teams from Dothan and Ozark to assist them.

Opp Mayor John Bartholomew told the Star-News he got the fire department and the water department involved as well.

“We did everything we were supposed to do,” he said. “They checked everything out, and they couldn’t mind a leak. They found nothing.”

Bartholomew said everything is was OK around 11 p.m.