A cautionary tale: Fires dangerous

Published 11:00 pm Monday, October 27, 2014

To the editor:

I saw something on the news the other morning from Dothan about a 4-year-old boy getting burned. His mother and father didn’t think he would make it, but he did. They didn’t think he would speak again; didn’t think he would run or play ball; but you know what? He surprised everyone and did all o these things.

You know, this happened to me back when I was 42. I had been to a yard sale on Saturday. I came in and we were gonna grill steaks outside I had put a fryer on the stove to do French fries. I didn’t think I had put grease in the fryer. I went outside and sat down. All of a sudden, I looked up and saw something flashing. I jumped up and ran to the door and my fryer was in flames.

I grabbed it up and started out the door, and it was so hot I had to drop it on the carport. When I did, it flashed up and burned my leg, my hand and also my foot.

I called the rescue squad and instead, here come Keith Martin flying on the police car and carried me to the hospital. Back then, he worked with our police department. After awhile, Dr. Marsh found out he could not do anything for me, then he was ready to fly me to the Mobile burn center. I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns. I had to have skin grafts done and stayed there for about a month. Dr. Arnold Suterman and his staff were very good to me and knew what they were doing. I have his picture on the wall, and he is still working.

So, all of you, please when you are outside grilling or inside with grease, be careful. It will burn you up right now. I really went through something that I will never forget. I feel for the 4-year-old boy. I hope him good luck.

Barbara Sue Dennis