SHS sweeps Headland

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Straughn Tigers swept the Headland Rams Friday night in Straughn.


The Tigers’ B-team crushed the Rams 58-26 in the opening game. The Tigers fell behind 2-0 early. The Tigers then went on a 9-0 run, and took complete control of the game from that point on. At halftime, the Tigers held a commanding 37-12 lead. The Tigers came out from halftime and picked it up right were they left off. Heading into the final stanza the Tigers were up by a hefty 54-18 margin. The Tigers were able to coast in the final period to complete a game one victory over the Rams.  Hank Peeples led the B-team Tigers with 13 points. Ethan Wilson and Kade Grant each tacked on 10 points. The win was the B-team Tigers sixth consecutive victory, and moves them to 10-2 on the season.


In the varsity girls’ game, the Straughn Lady Tigers dropped the Lady Rams 47-20 to improve to 18-5 overall and 4-0 in area play. The Lady Tigers jolted out front of the Lady Rams with a 9-0 run to start the game. The Lady Tigers were in command 25-5 by the end of the first period. Scoring was a little harder to come by in the second period, but the Lady Tigers were in control 38-8 at halftime. The Lady Tigers used all available personnel in the third period, but only scored 6 points in the period. It didn’t matter though, as the Lady Tigers were in complete control 44-11 heading into the final frame. With the game firmly in hand the Lady Tigers just ate the clock, as opposed to running up the score on the visiting Lady Rams. The Lady Tigers held on for a 47-20 victory. Brentley Armstrong led the Lady Tigers with 11 points. Jacie Williamson finished the night with 10 points for the Lady Tigers.


“We had a great practice on Wednesday and I think that carried over to the game,” Lady Tigers’ head coach Scott Kinsaul said. “We had a really good first half, and rested most of the starters for the second half.”


In the final game of the night, the Straughn varsity boys rallied to defeat the Rams 51-43.  The Rams jumped out-front 6-0 before the Tigers knew what hit them. Tucker Lawless cut the Rams’ lead with a 3-pointer, and then Jarvaris Samuel tied the game at 6-6. At the end of the first period the Tigers and Rams were tied at 10-10. The Tigers and Rams continued to battle hard in the second period. Lawless gave the Tigers their first lead late in the second period with another 3-pointer, but a buzzer beater from the Rams gave them a 23-21 lead going into halftime. Lawless continued to make his presence felt from 3-point land, as he buried two straight 3-pointers to tie the game at 27-27. Lawless would hit another 3-pointer late in the period to give the Tigers a 38-34 lead going into the final period. The Tigers used clutch free throw shooting in the final period to hold of the Rams for a 51-43 victory. The win moves the Tigers to 14-5 overall and 3-1 in the area. Lawless led the Tigers with 22 points. Samuel finished the contest with 9 points, and Rollin Kinsaul finished with 7 points.


The Tigers will head to Ashford today to face the Yellow Jackets in area games.