Eagles eliminate Bulldogs

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Robert Scott  goes up for 2 points in the Eagles' win over Kinston Tuesday night.

Robert Scott goes up for 2 points in the Eagles’ win over Kinston Tuesday night.

The Pleasant Home Eagles advanced to the 1A area 2 championship game with a 48-44 win over the Kinston Bulldogs Tuesday night in Brantley.


The Eagles got the 3-ball working early with Robert Scott and Garrett Barton each knocking down triples. Scott finished the first period with, a team-high, 5 points. Barton had 3 points, and the Eagles had an early 8-5 edge over the Bulldogs.


The Bulldogs battled back in the second period, and took a 25-20 lead into the locker room at halftime. Scott continued shooting well in the second period, and again led the Eagles with 7 points. Chase Gunter and Alex Myrick each finished the second period with 2 points. Tanner Veasey broke into the scorebook with 1 point in the period.


The Eagles came out in the third period with tremendous defense, and held the Bulldogs to just 6 points in the period. The Eagles offense responded with 13 points in the third period to take a 33-31 lead into the final period. Troy Fantroy was held scoreless in the first half, but busted out in the third period with 8 points to lead the Eagles. Scott tacked on another 4 points for the Eagles.


The Bulldogs’ Adam Richardson took the lead with a layup a few minutes into the fourth period. Fantroy responded by driving the lane, and finishing with a layup. The shot was good and Fantroy was fouled on the play. Fantroy converted the and-one opportunity to give the Eagles a 36-35 lead with under six minutes remaining. The lead swapped hands a few more times before Fantroy hit a jumper to give the Eagles a 40-37 lead with four minutes left. The Eagles wouldn’t trail for the remainder of the contest, and held off the Bulldogs for a 48-44 victory.  Fantroy finished the final period with 9 points. Gunter was clutch down the stretch, going 4-for-4 from the free throw line in the final minute of the game.


Fantroy led the Eagles with 17 points. Scott finished the contest with 16 points.


“We played very flat in the first half, and lost the momentum early,” Eagles’ head coach Troy Turman said. “We played much better in the second half. We had a 13-0 run in the third period, and that turned out to be the difference in the ball game. Scott and Fantroy did a great job during that stretch, and Chase Gunter hit some big free throws at the end. I’m very proud of them. This was a big team win tonight. We are in a sub-regional game now. Just have to see if we can win Friday, and host it, instead of having to travel. We will come out Friday give it our best, and see what happens.”