Cigarette ignites fire at Opp apartments

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A dropped cigarette is to blame for a fire at the Carriage House apartments on Barnes Street in Opp Monday night.

Opp Fire Chief Cory Spurlin said the fire department was dispatched at 8:15 p.m. to 1010 Barnes St.

“We found smoke coming from an exterior wall in apartment building B,” he said. “We pulled the wall and found that someone had dropped a cigarette between the stairwell and the wall. It had smoldered enough to start a small fire.”

Spurlin said firefighters were able to contain the fire to the exterior wall at the stairwell.

“It was a very small fire,” he said. “We used one attack line. There wasn’t any more structure damage than the small piece near the stairwell.”

Spurlin said there were no injuries.

“We did evacuate all eight units in the building until we got down to what was happening,” he said.

Spurlin said they were back at the station by 8:52 p.m.