Florala soliciting bids for Christmas decor
Published 12:03 am Wednesday, July 29, 2015
Christmas came in July for the Florala City Council at its meeting Tuesday night, as members agreed to let out bids for a new tree and decorations.
Councilwomen Pat Carmichal and Ann Eason were appointed to head up the decorations for the city.
We’ve been working very hard,” Carmichal said.
After putting their heads together, Carmichal and Eason said they had the idea of putting together a big Christmas event in the city.
“We found a tree and lights for the city,” Carmichael said.
Carmichal and Eason requested that the city pay $20,169 or the new tree and decorations.
Carmichal and Eason said they found a tree 22-feet tall and decorations that can be erected on poll lights for three blocks.
“We need to do something different,” Florala Councilwoman Hazel Lee said about the tree.
In other business, the council:
• decided not to buy 12.5 acres of property at the industrial park;
• heard an update on the playground, which included adding a fence and parking lot;
• approved spending $12,000 to fix the remaining problems on the city school roof;
• approved buying a full page ad in the Florala High School football program for $125;
• tabled a decision on a bond issue;
• approved the purchase of two Husquvarna 48-inch mowers and four steel weed eaters for $11,836; and,
• approved a change of date for the Aug. 10 meeting to Aug. 17.