Trinity dominates Straughn in region action

Published 2:08 am Saturday, September 19, 2015

On Straughn’s first two possessions Friday night, it looked as if the Tigers could easily dominate the Trinity Presbyterian Wildcats.

But the domination was short-lived.

Straughn received the opening kick, and put together a 10-play drive that moved the Tigers to paydirt and a 6-0 lead just four minutes into the first quarter. The Tigers depended upon the running of Jarvaris Samuel and smart reads by quarterback Barrett Bush before Bush went through the middle on first and goal from the 1.

But a delay of game penalty on the ensuing kick backed the Tigers up five yards, and Straughn missed the kick. With 8:16 left in the first, the Tigers were up 6-0.

Trinity answered on the next drive and went up 7-6. But Straughn made good on its next possession. Again relying heavily on Bush and Samuel, Straughn used a half-dozen plays before scoring again, this time from the 2. The Tigers went for 2, but failed, and the score was 12-7 with 33 seconds.

When the Tigers recovered a Wildcat fumble at the 27 on the first play of Trinity’s next possession, it looked as if they were at the beginning of a very good night. But three plays later, Straughn was forced to punt, and it was if they punted away their momentum.

Trinity scored from 22 yards out on its next possession. The Wildcats kicked good, and went up 14-12 with 2:45 left in the first period.

It was two whole periods before the Tigers scored again, and by that time, they were trailing by 30.

Trinity scored early in the second on second down and a grunt from the goal, and went up 21-12, a lead they held to the half.

Trinity took the opening kick in the third, and Straughn held them on fourth down. Trinity forced a Straughn punt on the Tigers’ first second-half possession, and continued to dominate. The Wildcats scored on a 35-yard run about four minutes into the period, and went up 28-12.

The Tigers moved the ball on their next possession, but again looked to Brock Hammett to punt it away. Trinity capitalized on good field position and scored again, going up 35-12 with 4:54 left in the third.

A Straughn fumble on its next possession put Trinity in good field position again, and they cashed it in, going up 42-12.

This time, the Tigers got going, swinging the momentum their way when Bush connected with Jacob Hawkins on third and nine. Time expired in the third, but the Tigers scored on the first play in the fourth. Again, the point-after attempt was no good, and Straughn’s scoring ended at 18.

Trinity went on to score twice more –a touchdown and a field goal, ending the scoring at 52-18.

Straughn, now 1-3, is on the road against Beauregard next week.