Straughn tops Kinston for homecoming (Throwback Thursday)

Published 12:00 am Thursday, October 8, 2015

Gregg Wilson hits the corner.

Gregg Wilson hits the corner.

Editor’s Note: This article is part of our “Throwback Thursday” series. This article is from our Oct., 10, 1996 files.

The Straughn Tigers came from behind twice in the first quarter of their homecoming game Saturday, eventually coasting to a 40-27 win over the Kinston Bulldogs.

The game wasn’t as close as the score. Straughn substituted liberally in the second half and the Tigers kneeled to run out the clock in the fourth quarter inside the Kinston five-yard line.

Kinston shocked Straughn’s homecoming crow on the opening kickoff when Bulldog junior Adam Osborn followed his left-side blockers and raced about 80 yards to put Kinston up 6-0 just 17 seconds into the game.

Kinston freshman kicker Chancey Lashley’s PAT kick was good, and Kinston led 7-0.

Straughn regrouped quickly. On the Tigers’ second play from scrimmage, senior running back Greg Wilson broke into the left-side secondary, eluded several would-be open-field tacklers, and posted a 48-yard touchdown run.

Straughn senior placekicker Scott Rogers’s PAT kick evened the score at 7-7 with 10:41 remaining in the opening quarter.

Kinston responded by driving the length of the field on the their next possession. Bulldog senior quarterback hit sophomore spit end Ronnie Samson with a touchdown pass to put Kinston ahead again 13-7.

Kinston’s PAT attempt was no good, and the Bulldogs held a 6-point lead with 3:33 left in the first quarter.

Straughn’s Wilson gave the Tigers great field position with a kickoff return to midfield. The Tigers promptly drove to the Kinston 6-inch line before senior running back Tindell Adams crashed into the end zone to tie the game 13-13.

Rogers’s PAT kick was true, and Straughn regained the lead 14-13 with 10:51 left in the half.

Straughn scored again with 5:22 left in the half when Tiger junior running back Michael Murphy score from 10 yards out to extend his team’s lead to 20-13.

Rogers padded the Straughn lead by three points with only 35 seconds left in the half when he booted a 30-yard field goal to make the score 24-13 at the half.

Straughn’s Wilson started the second half by returning the Kinston kickoff to midfield. Less than three minutes later, Tiger junior signal-keeper Michael McVay scored on a quarterback keeper.

Straughn’s two-point attempt failed, and the Tigers led 30-13 with 9:02 left in the third quarter.

Straughn freshman running back Andy White joined in on the Tiger scoring attack with a 1-yard touchdown lunge midway through the third quarter.

Rogers’s PAT kick made the score 37-13.