Preparations being made for annual career expo
Published 12:00 am Saturday, December 26, 2015
The second annual Next Step Covington County Career Expo is right around the corner, and officials said final preparations are being made.
The event is set for Jan. 15, at the Kiwanis Fairgrounds.
Opp and Andalusia City Schools Career Coach Polly DuBose said the first event was a huge success, bringing in more than 800 students and 80 businesses for the day.
The event garnered interest from the state career coach coordinator and the Region 10 Workforce Development officials.
Students from Andalusia, Florala, Opp, Pleasant Home, Red Level and Straughn took advantage of the hands-on, interactive career exploration led by local career professionals.
DuBose said what makes the local expo stand out above the rest is the interactive, engaging tools businesses used to illustrate their fields.
“We wanted students to know what careers are available in Covington County,” she said. “It’s very helpful for our students to learn about careers in Covington County.”
DuBose said that help from local businesses is crucial to the success of the event.
“We are working for ensure the day runs smoothly and stand ready to assist you with your final preparations,” DuBose said.
DuBose said the following information will help participants prepare for the event:
• The event will be from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.;
• Participants have been assigned a location and exhibit number and will be given that number upon arrival at the check-in desk;
• Times to set up your exhibit will be Thurs., Jan. 14, from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m., and from 6:30 a.m. until 8 a.m. on Fri., Jan. 15.
• Tables, chairs and dividers will be provided;
• You will need to bring your own extension cord.
• LBWCC Ambassadors will be there to assist you during the event;
• Southeast Alabama Gas District is providing the hospitality rom and Hardee’s is providing breakfast.
“As a reminder, each exhibit should includes the name of your company, name of career, required training and education, average salary and benefits.
For more information, email DuBose at firstname.lastname@example.org.