Straughn sweeps Red Tops

Published 12:00 am Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Straughn Tigers picked up a pair of big area wins over the Slocomb Red Tops on Friday night in Straughn.




In the opening varsity match, the Straughn Lady Tigers grabbed an early lead and coasted to a 36-20 victory over the Lady Red Tops.

The Lady Tigers got a pair of big 3-pointers from Colby Adams in the opening period to help get Straughn out front 13-9.

Caroline Wood knocked in a jumper to start the scoring in the second period, and free throws from Syndey Kinsaul pushed the Lady Tigers to a 23-13 halftime lead.

Lexi Hooks dropped in a pair of 3-pointers in the third period to give the Lady Tigers a 31-16 advantage heading into the final frame.

The Lady Tigers added five points in the fourth to pick up the area victory.

“Any win is a big win, but especially when it’s an area win,” Lady Tigers head coach Scott Kinsaul said. “I really thought we hustled well and gave a really good effort. I thought our defense also did a really good job of recognizing who their shooters were.”




The Straughn varsity boys’ team fell behind early to the Red Tops, but rallied to knock off Slocomb 52-47.

Slocomb came storming out of the gate and went on top 8-0 to start the game.

Hank Peeples got the Tigers on the board with a layup and moments later knocked down a 3-pointer to cut the Slocomb lead down to 11-5 heading into the second period.

Keaun Samuel inched the Tigers closer after dropping in a bucket from under the basket.

The Tigers then got a great steal and save from Trystian Barber, who tipped the ball to Taylor Rhudy sprinting down the court.

Rhudy pushed the ball into the lane connected with a behind the back layup while drawing a foul. Rhudy knocked home the free throw to make the score 11-10.

The Tigers then grabbed the lead with off of a basket from Brantley Kelley.

The Red Tops got the led back, but a 3-pointer from Peeples put Straughn on top 15-13.

At halftime, the Tigers were on top 23-20.

In the third period, Straughn got the first bucket, but the Red Tops responded with an 11-0 run to go on top 31-25.

Samuel dropped in a layup and then Peeples buried another 3-pointer to give the Tigers back the lead.

The Tigers surged at the end of the third period to go up 40-34 heading in the final frame of play.

Peeples remained dialed in from 3-point land in the final frame to help lift the Tigers to a 52-47 victory.

“I thought we played pretty well tonight,” Straughn head coach Bradley Stephens said. “We came in on a two-game losing streak, and I felt like we came out tonight hoping not to make mistakes. We didn’t come out the way we should have, but once we worked through that I felt like we played pretty well. Towards the end of the first half we started seeing what it was that we needed to do and offense and we started making better passes. We took that into the second half and then we started to shoot the ball like we know how to. Now, we just have to get ready for Geneva on Tuesday.”

Peeples led the Tigers with 17 points in the win.