AHS students celebrate career tech
Published 2:08 am Wednesday, February 21, 2018
Career and Technical Education Month®, or CTE Month®, is a public awareness campaign that takes place each February to celebrate the value of CTE and the achievements and accomplishments of CTE programs across the country. To help celebrate CTE Month, Andalusia High School Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) held their annual FCCLA Week last week, February 12-16th. FCCLA is the career and technical student organization for Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) formerly known as Home Economics. Mrs. Jana Clark is the AHS FACS teacher and sponsor of FCCLA.
Every year, the FCCLA officers either use the National FCCLA theme for the week or create their own. The theme the officers chose for this year was “We’re NOT Just Here for the Sweets.” FCCLA is not just about the field trips or the food served at the meetings. It is an opportunity to rise by lifting others.
The themes for each day of FCCLA Week were as follows:
- Mon., Feb. 12–“Love Never Ages.” FCCLA members delivered Valentine’s cards and silk flowers to the residents at Andalusia Manor nursing home after school.
- Tues., Feb. 13–☺ “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” ☺ FCCLA officers wore smiley face necklaces since this year’s club theme is “We All Smile in the Same Language.” The officers had to say “Be Happy” after everything they said. If they didn’t, another student could steal their necklace. Students with necklaces at the end of the day were rewarded with a prize.
- Wed., Feb. 14–“Lava Love.” To show appreciation for her FCCLA officers and members, Mrs. Clark served Lava Cake and Ice Cream during homeroom. The club members also donated over 50 boxes of granola bars to the Full Tummy Project.
- Thurs., Feb. 15–“Love Knows No Boundaries.” FCCLA traveled to Montgomery to Rockin’ Jump Trampoline Park and to visit Baptist Medical Center South to deliver 25 fleece blankets made by the club to the Pediatric Unit.
- Fri., Feb. 23–Love Your Leaders! FCCLA asked that the student body express their gratitude for their leaders—administrators, teachers, parents, etc. FCCLA officers and members will provide refreshments for the AHS faculty and staff to show their appreciation for all they do.