How healthy are county residents?
Published 12:53 am Thursday, March 15, 2018
A new report shows Covington County ranks in the middle in a most-to-least healthy ranking of Alabama counties
Covington County is in the middle in ranking of the healthiest counties in the state, according to the ninth annual County Health Rankings, released Wednesday by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute (UWPHI).
Shelby County residents are the healthiest in the state, according to the ranking, and Wilcox County residents are the least healthy. Covington County is 36 in the rankings.
The report lists a number of factors which could influence health, including:
- 21 percent of the adult population smokes.
- 34 percent of the adult population is obese.
- 15 percent drink excessively.
Access to care
- 12 percent of the population is uninsured.
- The ratio of patients to primary care physicians is 1,990 to 1.
- The ratio of patients to dentists is 2,880 to 1.
- The ratio of clients to mental health providers is 1,870 to 1.
Social and economic factors
- 95 percent are high school graduates
- 54 percent had some college education.
- 28 percent of children live in poverty.
- 35 percent of children live in single parent households.
- The median household income is $35,000.
- 56 percent of children are eligible for free and reduced lunches.
According to the 2018 Rankings, the five healthiest counties in Alabama, starting with most healthy, are Shelby County, followed by Madison County, Baldwin County, Limestone County, and Lee County. The five counties in the poorest health, starting with least healthy, are Wilcox County, Greene County, Sumter County, Lowndes County, and Perry County.
The county-by-county snapshot that compares counties within states, shows that where you live influences how well and how long you live. The local-level data make it clear that good health is influenced by many factors beyond medical care including housing, education, and jobs.
The Rankings are available at www.countyhealthrankings.org.