Schools’ history began in 1920s
Published 2:58 am Saturday, June 30, 2018
According to a history of African American schools in Covington County included in the program book for the biennial reunion, the Covington County Training School was built on the Eighth Avenue Extension in the 1920s.
CCTS burned in 1935, and classes were held in local churches until the school was rebuilt and classes resumed in November of 1936. Twelfth grade was added in the 1938-39 school year. The school was accredited in 1945-46.
The school’s name was changed to Ralph Bunche High in 1960 and 1961. IN the 1961-62 school term, the Ralph Bunche High School building became the Bethune Junior High School for county students. A new school, Woodson High School, o pened its doors for city students grades K-9 and county students grades 10-12 in 1961, with C.C. Baker as principal.
The school remained the only black high school in the county until 1970, when schools were fully integrated. Woodson High School is now the Woodson Learning Center, and houses the city school system’s administrative offices, as well as an after-school program.