Homecoming blowout for RLHS

Published 12:33 am Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Red Level High School Tigers put the cherry on top of their homecoming festivities with a 54-0 win against the Calhoun High School Tigers on Friday night.

After a scoreless first quarter, Red Level finally drew first blood as quarterback Parker Spears rushed to the 3-yard line and then punched it in the end zone at the beginning of the second quarter, making it 7-0 after the extra point attempt.

The Tigers thought they would score again almost a minute later when Chance Russell intercepted a pass from Calhoun and ran it back for a pick six, but was called back to the 27-yard line for holding.

After Demarcus Johnson made a first down run, another touchdown was called back for holding after Johnson made it to the end zone.

The Tigers were able to get on the board again with 8:14 left in the half when Johnson drove into the end zone from the 2-yard line to make it 14-0.

The next Tiger drive started with an unsportsmanlike conduct flag on the head coach, backing the Tigers up to their own 32-yard line. Spears was then able to move the ball all the way to the opponent’s 18-yard line.

Johnson put the finishing touch on the drive when he rushed in the end zone with 2:35 left in the half to make it 21-0.

Calhoun started the second half with a fumbled punt snap, which led to another Red Level touchdown.

The Tigers started on the 2-yard line after the fumble and Johnson punched it in the end zone to make it 28-0 with 10:11 left in the third quarter.

Another Calhoun fumble led to another Tiger touchdown when Red Level got the ball on the 13-yard line.

Kade Green then took it to the house with 8:30 left in the third quarter to make it 34-0.

A blocked punt was the start of another touchdown drive for the Tigers.

Brody Ingram came up with two big runs to get the Tigers down to the 3-yard line and then was able to punch it in the end zone with 4:26 left in the third quarter to make it 40-0 after a missed extra point.

In the fourth quarter, bad luck happened for Calhoun again after a fumbled punt snap in the end zone caused another Tiger touchdown with 8:50 left in the quarter, making it 47-0.

With 10.9 seconds left in the fourth quarter, the second string had their time to shine, when Malikye Wright broke free and ran to the end zone to put the final score on the board, making it 54-0.

“Field conditions were terrible,” Head coach Kenny Skipper said. “We have only been able to go outside once this week, but I thought we played really well at times. I thought we played better in the second half than the first half. We planned to work on some throwing plays this week, but field conditions didn’t allow that.”

Skipper said that is has been a while since the Tigers have been able to do something like this on homecoming.

“It is really neat to come out and do something like this for the community,” Skipper said.

Now Skipper is focusing on next week’s game against Florala.

“That is a really big game, for us and for Florala,” Skipper said. “If we get one more region win then we are in the playoffs, and we haven’t been to the playoffs in a very long time. So this week we just need to get better, and that’s kind of been our motto all year. Every snap, every play, every rep in the weight room, needs to get better every day.”

Red Level will travel to Florala next week as they take on Florala High School at 7 p.m., on their homecoming.