Tigers fall in hard-fought game

Published 12:36 am Saturday, October 13, 2018

The Straughn High School Tigers were not able to pull out a win last night on their senior night as they fell 27-14 against the Wicksburg High School Panthers.

The first touchdown of the night was from Wicksburg as they recovered a fumble, drove down the field and rushed two yards into the end zone with 2:55 left in the first quarter.

The Tigers answered with 1:05 left in the half when Logan Cobb caught an interception on the 29-yard line and rushed into the end zone to even the score 7-7.

The Panthers struck again in the third quarter after a fumbled punt caused Dalton James to fall on the ball on the Tigers’ own 26-yard line. The Panthers were able to move the ball down the field and punched it in the end zone from three yards out to take the lead 13-7 after a blocked PAT.

After a failed onside kick attempt from Wicksburg, the Tigers received the ball on the 50-yard line, but it the drive ended with a turn over on downs with Wicksburg getting the ball on their own 34-yard line.

Wicksburg increased their lead in the fourth quarter after the Panther’s running back ran to the end zone with 2:45 left making it 20-7.

The Tigers got on the board again after a personal foul on Wicksburg moved them to the opposing 26-yard line. Adam Anderson connected with Brantley Kelley in the end zone for a 26-yard reception with 2:02 left in the game to trim the lead down 20-14.

Straughn tried to recover the ball again on an onside kick, but was unsuccessful. Wicksburg recovered the ball on the 49-yard line.

The Panthers converted on fourth down with 40 seconds left in the game and then put the nail in the coffin when the Panthers’ running back ran straight up the center of the field and into the end zone making it 27-14.

The Tigers tried to make a last minute attempt to score after a roughing the passer personal foul moved them to their own 40-yard line, but Adam Anderson fumbled to end the game.

“We made some dumb penalties tonight at critical times,” Head coach Jarrod Wooten said. “We had an opportunity to stop them and an opportunity to win the game, but critical penalties just killed us.”

Wooten said that he is proud of the way his guys fought at the end of the game.

“They laid their guts on the line,” Wooten said. “I hate it for these seniors and the way that it turned out on senior night, but I’m proud of the way most of these guys played tonight.”

The Tigers (2-6, 2-3) will travel to Providence Christian next Friday.