Holiday sales start early
Local retailers prepare for Black Friday shopping events
Local retailers are preparing for the busiest shopping day of the year – Black Friday – and some plan to start their sales on Thursday.
Wal-Mart officials said that they will be open during regular hours on Thanksgiving Day and on Black Friday.
“The only day we close during the year is Christmas,” he said. “We have most everybody working on Black Friday to help you with your shopping. We have been getting ready for about a month, so this week we are just putting the finishing touches.”
Black Friday sales for Wal-Mart will begin on Thursday at 6 p.m., in the store, while online Black Friday sales will begin today, Wed., Nov. 21.
Specials include a Sony PlayStation 4 Spiderman Bundle for $199, a $99 40-inch Hisense T.V., a 6- inch $398 class 4K Roku Smart T.V. and a $99 iPhone 6.
Goody’s will be open from 1 p.m., on Thursday, until 1 a.m. On Friday, the store will remain open until midnight.
“Everybody will be working both days,” Kala Wilcox said. “We are usually pretty busy so stop on by.”
The big sales at Goody’s will be a $199.99, 50 inch T.V. and $19.99 boots.
J.C. Penney’s doors will open at 2 p.m., on Thursday and will close at 11 p.m. They will open again at 8 a.m., on Friday and will close at 10 p.m.
“We will have a huge coupon giveaway for the people who show up early on Thursday,” J.C. Penney’s officials said. “Usually everybody works those days and it is always very busy.”
Customers could receive a $500 off $500 coupon, $100 off $100 coupon or $10 off $10 coupon.
Other stores in the area with special Black Friday events include:
• Sears: Closed Thanksgiving Day, open Friday at 7 a.m. 50 percent doorbusters.
• CVS: Open Thanksgiving Day.
• J.R’s Lawnmowers: Open Friday, 7 a.m., until 5 p.m. First 25 customers get a J.R.’s T-shirt and $200 off any zero turn lawnmower.
• Marvin’s: Open 6 a.m., on Friday. The first 100 customers will get a scratch off ornament with either 10, 15 or 20 percent off. They will also have a pancake breakfast.
• Pink Peppers: Open Thursday from 7 p.m., until 9 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m., until 5:30 p.m. Their Thursday sale will last from 7 p.m., until 9 p.m. 50 percent off from 7-7:30 p.m., 40 percent off from 7:30-8 p.m. and 30 percent off from 8-9 p.m.
• Christopher’s Jewelry: Closed on Thanksgiving Day. Open on Friday from 10 a.m., until 5:30 p.m. There will be a sale on the entire store except jewelry from Ronaldo and Jord; 40 percent off from 10 – noon and 30 percent off from noon – closing.
• Darby’s Pharmacy on South Three Notch: Open Friday from 7:30 a.m., until 5:30 p.m. 30 percent off all gifts and apparel and 40 percent off of trim a tree.
• Ward and Co.: Closed Thanksgiving Day. Open Friday at 8 a.m. with a sale on Patagonia and North Face Jackets.
• Harold’s: Closed Thanksgiving Day. Open Friday, from 7 a.m., until 5:30 p.m. From 7 a.m., until 1 p.m., on Thursday there will be a sale, 30 percent off all floor models and an additional 25 percent off already marked off 50 percent lamps, accessories and home décor. The first 100 customers in the store get a free gift.
• Utopia Salon and Spa: Closed Thanksgiving Day. Open Friday, 9 a.m., until 5 p.m. The sale Friday will be on all items in the store by the hour. 9-10 a.m. is 30 percent off, 10-11 a.m. is 25 percent off, 11-noon is 20 percent off, noon-1 p.m. is 15 percent off and anything after 1 p.m., will be 10 percent off.
• Andalusia Coop: Closed Thanksgiving Day. Open Friday from 6 a.m., until 9 p.m.
• Barrow’s Furniture: Closed on Thanksgiving Day. Open Friday from 9 a.m., until 5:30 p.m. Anything $1,299.95 will be $150 off.
An estimated crowd of 8,000 people attended Saturday’s South Alabama Airshow, which featured military displays, aerobatics, and parachuting by the... read more