ACS 1 bus from total fleet renewal
Andalusia City Schools OK’d a bid for a new handicap-accessible bus this week.
Transportation Director Kim Thompson said the current bus utilized for this purpose has a rotting floor.
It’s a 1999 model bus.
Thompson said the bus inspectors said they would not pass the particular bus again.
“We upgraded it with new specs,” she said. “It’s a 54-passenger.”
The bus costs just over $92,000 and Southland Transportation was the low bid.
Additionally, Thompson said there are two more buses headed to Andalusia, which are regular 72-passenger buses.
The school system has one more bus to purchase and it will be at full fleet renewal.
Thompson said there are four air-conditioned buses.
“Our mechanics are great,” Thompson said. “They really keep the buses up well.”
Additionally, the board:
• Approved a leave of absence for Maklyn Floyd;
• Approved a resignation for Shena Patterson;
• Hired X Burnett as bus driver;
• Approved a Andalusia Performing Arts Policy;
• Renewed AHS Principal Dr. Daniel Shakespeare’s contract for three years;•
• Renewed Superintendent Ted Watson’s contract for three more years.