Gulf Air already investing in Covington County
Published 4:49 pm Wednesday, June 24, 2020
Gulf Air Group’s Covington Maintenance Center has already invested a good bit of business in Covington County, South Alabama Regional Airport Executive Director Jed Blackwell said Wednesday.
In August 2019, it was announced that Gulf Air Group would open the Covington Maintenance Center in the Twin Hangars at SARA.
Then, SARA airport authority approved a five-year lease agreement with Gulf Air Group of Crestview for Covington Maintenance Center.
The company has been around since the late 1980s and specializes in maintenance and operation if of L-382s, which are civilian C-130s.
Then, the company said they expected to employ 21-22 employees. So, far they have about 11 employees working there.
Blackwell said they are already investing in the community through purchases and utilizing local businesses to help with renovations to the Twin Hangar Complex.
Among those are:
• Purchasing several golf carts from J.R.’s Lawnmower;
• Purchasing four Ford Expeditions from Andalusia Ford;
• Utilizing both Alexander Electric and Walker Electric;
• Hiring Edwin Page as the contractor for renovations;
• Hiring Dennis Moore for construction of an extra building, and;
• Using the Hiller Group for fire protection.