Local business showcased at first ‘Made in Alabama’
Published 2:48 pm Friday, October 8, 2021
An Andalusia business is among those showcased at Alabama’s first “Made in Alabama” showcase,
Governor Kay Ivey announced Thursday, in partnership with the Alabama Department of Commerce, the inaugural Made in Alabama Showcase honorees to highlight our Alabama-American-made products. One of the recipients was Dean’s Cake House.
To celebrate October being “Manufacturing Month,” Governor Ivey selected 12 top-rated businesses for their work in producing exceptional products for our state and invited them to exhibit their products at the Alabama State Capitol in the Old Supreme Court Library. The 12 exhibitors showcased booths to discuss their company’s history, sell products and give promotional items to the public.
“It is an honor to welcome these manufacturers to the Alabama Capitol to show off their fine, Alabama-made products as part of our very first Made in Alabama Showcase,” Governor Ivey said. “Alabama is home to some wonderful companies, and it’s a pleasure to give them the acknowledgment they deserve.”
Highlighting various companies via the Alabama Department of Commerce’s Made in Alabama brand was the impetus of the inaugural Made in Alabama Showcase.
“The ‘Made in Alabama’ badge stands for quality, and it’s clear that the homegrown companies being honored in this showcase today have mastered the art of turning out a wide variety of world-class products,” Secretary of the Alabama Department of Commerce Greg Canfield said. “I’m constantly impressed by the ingenuity and capabilities of our business sector, which is paving the way for a more prosperous future for the state.”
All exhibitors were nominated by the Business Council of Alabama, the Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama, and Manufacture Alabama. The 12 honorees are as follows:
- Dean’s Cake House: Since her days of working in the deli of a local grocery store, Dean Jacobs dreamed of opening her own bakery. At age 60 in August 1994, Dean introduced her own cake recipes to her small community in Andalusia, Alabama at Dean’s Cake House. Soon after the doors opened, it was obvious these sweet treats weren’t meant for just locals but for a much larger audience. Dean’s Cake House has now provided sweet treats throughout the Deep South for many years. She and her staff bake over 300 cakes per day, and the products are currently distributed through three well-established Alabama warehouses. Her local bakery is still an exciting tourist attraction with hundreds of visitors from all over the country dropping in to see and smell her delicious recipes come to life.
- Monroe Sausage is as rich in history as it is in flavor. The original company became a household name in Monroe County, Alabama in the late 40s when they threw sausage biscuits from their float during the annual Monroeville Hog Festival. The company was eventually sold to partners who then set out to make “the best sausage anyone had ever tasted.” They spent months working on the recipe and experimenting with spices and seasonings. After Hurricane Ivan destroyed the factory and halted production, a new facility was built in Beatrice and revived their company. Now, the legendary Hickory Smoked Monroe Sausage can be found in most grocery stores.
- Vulcan, Inc. is an employee-owned company located near the Alabama Gulf Coast in Foley. It began as a small sign manufacturer in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1935 and has continued growing for over 80 years. Vulcan Aluminum Mill produces aluminum coils and sheets and sells them into automotive, transportation, truck trailer, construction, and irrigation markets to name a few. Vulcan Aluminum produces traffic sign blanks. Vulcan Signs takes the aluminum sign blanks and produces finished traffic signs such as stop signs, speed limit signs, street name signs, etc., and sells these finished signs throughout the state to smaller cities and counties that do not have sign shops like the larger cities.
- John Emerald Distilling is a small batch craft distillery located in downtown Opelika. They offer tours, cocktails, and bottle sales in-house as well as distribute their spirits throughout Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida, New York, California, Colorado, and Illinois. From the original three Sharp brothers who ventured to America from Scotland to the namesake of the company, John Emerald Sharp, the sharps have lived lives of integrity: honoring God, their fellow man, and their family. When it came time to name their distillery, the idea to honor their forefathers in name and spirit rang true.
- SHOWA Group became invaluable when the COVID-19 Pandemic hit. PPE was the utmost of importance for essential workers, and Fayette became a perfect fit for the nation’s only domestic producer of nitrile gloves. For almost 50 years, the Fayette facility has contributed to Alabama’s economy. Right before the pandemic hit, SHOWA announced its expansion, with the goal of employing 400 workers. Show-a glove is an Alabama-made product directly aiding in the fight against COVID-19.
- SouthFresh Feeds is located in Demopolis Alabama, with the corporate office being located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. They manufacture animal feeds for fish, cattle, deer, and horses. They employ more than 30 people and have been in business since 1992.
- Kith Kitchens is located in Haleyville and began in 1998 as a family-owned business with a dedication to integrity and relationships. With 23 years of experience, 710 dedicated employees, and over 175,000 completed projects, Kith Kitchens continues to be a leading provider in the kitchen, bath, and office cabinetry industry. Integrity has remained their backbone as they supply exceptional cabinetry while combining service, design, quality, and craftsmanship. Over the last 20 years, Kith Kitchens has grown to become one of the largest cabinet manufacturers in the country.
- Zone Protects is located in Decatur and was born out of a mission to help and protect people. When the founder, Brian Baer, saw his friend’s family dog digging and wreaking havoc in their flowerbeds, he set out to help. Brian worked to create a safe, effective, and all-natural animal repellent and that is how Zone No Holes! began. They also sell insect repellants. Expanding their mission to help people, the ZONE Protects line of sanitizers and disinfectants was developed in 2020 to respond to the growing need of protective products at the onset of the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- Eleven86 Real Artesian Water Real Artesian Water has been in the making since the beginning of time. They take pride in knowing that by offering some of the purest water in the world that they are also able to give back to the community. The source for Eleven86 Real Artesian Water comes from the small densely populated town of Autaugaville, located in central Alabama. Deep under many layers of rock and earth lies an aquifer, that has been protected from the surface contaminants and pollutants, only to be reached by a well.
- Alabama Sawyer is run by its founders, Cliff Spencer and Leigh Spencer. They design modern, environmentally sustainable products from fallen trees in the Birmingham, Alabama area. Since its founding, they have diverted hundreds of logs from the landfill by transforming them into award-winning furniture and products for homes and businesses.
- American Cast Iron Pipe Company manufactures ductile iron and steel pipe, safely delivering water to the homes of Americans right from Birmingham, Ala. ACIPCO gives back to their communities thru planning neighborhood gardens, charity walks/runs, and teaching students, the future workforce about entrepreneurship. The company’s golden rule is to treat others the way you want to be treated. They treat their employees as family, even having third and fourth-generation employees.
- Henry Brick Company (Selma) was founded by J.D. Henry in 1945 with one goal in mind: to take the rich clay of central Alabama and produce brick of unmatched beauty and unsurpassed quality. For over 65 years, family-owned Henry Brick has defined the brick maker’s art, and its uniquely beautiful product line is renowned throughout the Southern, Eastern, and Midwestern United States.