Andalusia Karate receives awards at IHOF banquet
Published 11:00 am Wednesday, August 3, 2022
Andalusia Isshinryu attended the Isshinryu Hall of Fame Banquet and Tournament on Friday, July 15, and Saturday, July 16 at the Convention Center in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
The IHOF is the largest Isshinryu tournament in the world and draws competitors from all over the United States and as far away as India and Canada.
Two current and two former Andalusia Isshinryu Karate students won awards at the Awards Banquet held Friday night. Five finalists in each category are selected from nominations sent in worldwide with the winners announced at the IHOF Banquet.
AIK students and alumni were honored in front of a record banquet attendance of 500. They are as follows:
- April Bickhaus of Grandview Isshinryu was named the Female Instructor of the Year.
- Camille Holley of Bryan College was recognized as the Female Karate-ka of the Year and also a finalist for Female Competitor of the Year.
- Taj Patel was named the Young Male (13-17) Karate-ka of the Year.
- Johnathan Rudd was recognized as the Young Male (12 and Under) Karate-ka of the Year.
In the tournament, AIK students placed in the following divisions:
- Taj Patel: first place in youth black belt weapons and first place in youth black belt Kata
- Camille Holley, Black Belt Women: fourth place, weapons; third place, kata, second place: fighting
- Johnathan Rudd: second place, brown belt weapons and second place, brown belt Kata
- Dhilan Patel: fourth place intermediate weapons
- Jason Rooker, second place yellow belt kata