Andalusia High School earns College Success Award from GreatSchools

Published 3:00 pm Monday, September 26, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Andalusia High School received word Monday that it was selected for a GreatSchools’ College Success Award in recognition of excelling at preparing students to enroll and succeed in college.

“We are honored to receive this award. Our faculty and staff work extremely hard to make sure our students here are prepared to enter college or the workforce after graduating high school. We are proud to receive a prestigious College Success Award from GreatSchools,” said Principal Ray Wilson.

According to a news release, Andalusia High School is among 1,742 high schools from 25 states that have demonstrated a successful track record of graduating students who enroll in two or four-year college, are ready for college-level coursework, and persist on to their second year.

“The College Success Award is possible because Alabama is leading the nation in both collecting and transparently sharing information on how students perform after high school, which is valuable information for families, educators, and policymakers. 66 schools in Alabama took home this year’s honor,” the release stated.

Andalusia High School received a summary rating of 8/10 from GreatSchools based on two components: college readiness and equity. AHS scored 9/10 on the college readiness component, which accounted for 58 percent of the school’s rating. AHS scored 7/10 on the equity component, making up the remaining 42 percent.

“We applaud Andalusia High School for prioritizing a high-quality public education that puts students on the path to bright futures,” GreatSchools CEO Jon Deane said. “It’s inspiring to see how an entire school community – students, teachers, and families – can work together in pursuit of a common goal: success for all. Congratulations to Andalusia High School for receiving the College Success Award as proof of their hard work and dedication.

Despite the many challenges brought forth by the COVID-19 pandemic, Andalusia High School has continued to uphold many best practices to support its students’ college preparation and success. Those practices include the following:

  • Providing access to rigorous academic offerings both within school and through extracurricular programs
  • Systematically identifying and supporting students at risk of adverse academic outcomes at every grade level
  • Providing more robust academic and college counseling
  • Having teacher tutoring as well as peer tutoring sessions available for students

To learn more about the College Success Award and view the list of winners visit

About GreatSchools

GreatSchools is the leading nonprofit providing high-quality information that supports parents pursuing a great education for their child, schools striving for excellence, and communities working to diminish inequities in education. GreatSchools is the only national organization that collects and analyzes data from all 51 state departments of education and the federal government to provide analysis, insights, and school quality ratings for parents, partners, researchers, and policymakers. Over 49 million users visit GreatSchools’ award-winning website annually to learn about schools in their area, explore research insights, and access thousands of free, evidence-based parenting resources to support their child’s learning and well-being.