CCBOE hears arts presentation, approves personnel matters
Published 1:00 pm Thursday, March 16, 2023
The Covington County Board of Education heard a presentation from students in the collaborative arts program and approved additional personnel matters at a regularly scheduled meeting Tuesday, March 14.
Students spoke about the impacts art, dance, music, and theatre have made on their school and personal lives. They also celebrated Arts, Music, and Theatre in our Schools Month for March.
The presentation highlighted the evolvement of the county’s collaborative arts program since Pleasant Home’s Jennifer Withrow and Straughn’s Tina Shiver established it in 2018.
A testimony was shown from Pleasant Home School alumnus Miranda Fowler Wilson.
“We must do everything we can to bring the arts into the Covington County school system,” Wilson said. “Drama class was my only exposure to the arts at Pleasant Home. It introduced me to so many elements of art and culture, which have been so valuable to me in college and in my career. Without it, I would never have gotten a creative outlet. I truly believe that every child and teen should be exposed to the arts. Without art, there are so many students who will feel lost on their journey through school. These are the years students will develop their social identities.”
Other highlights were Beth Dean and Joy Sowards starting a choir for students of the school system. A choral workshop is planned for CCS students next week on Wednesday, March 22, and Thursday, March 23.
During the meeting the board also approved the following seven personnel matters:
- Keron F. Kyzar as math teacher at Red Level School effective May 26
- Kelly Wilson as kindergarten teacher at Straughn Elementary School effective May 26
- Terry Carnley as bus driver at Straughn High School effective May 26
- Marjorie A. Martin as bus driver at SHS effective May 26
- Haley Shoemaker from lunchroom worker at Straughn Middle School to custodian at SMS effective immediately
- Brittany Wicker as lunchroom worker at SMS effective immediately, pending verification of new or existing background reviews
Leave of Absence:
- Granted a leave of absence to Endsley Givhan Bolen as special education teacher at Red Level School for the 2023-2024 school year
The board set the next meeting date for Tuesday, April 4, 5:30 p.m., at the central office.