Applications are now being taken for Opp Chamber’s 2024 Program of Leadership
Published 1:00 pm Saturday, December 16, 2023
The Opp and Covington County Chamber of Commerce is now accepting applications for the 2024 Covington County Program of Leadership.
The program, which will begin its fourth year, was established with the aim of nurturing personal leadership growth and cultivating advocates for Covington County. Its purpose is to foster individual leadership development while also creating ambassadors for Covington County. Applications will be accepted through the month of January. The cost is $500.00 covered by employers, unless the participant is an individual.
Applicants for 2024 will convene Feb. 22-23, in their first meeting. Meetings will be held monthly on Thursdays in February through November except July, which is set aside for work on a community project. Program times are from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. with ending times subject to change in some months. The 2024 class will graduate in January 2025.
The nine-month program, organized through the Opp Chamber of Commerce, includes sessions on local history, technology and cultural arts, local and county government, state government complete with a trip to Montgomery, public safety, health and human services, education and diversity, agriculture and forestry and economic development. The program’s goal is to build leaders and create ambassadors for Covington County.
To qualify for the program, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Covington County or have worked/volunteered for a Covington County business or organization for a minimum of six months.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Possess satisfactory evaluations from a current employer with support from said business/organization.
- Attend initial orientation, local focus, leadership, and personality assessment sessions and attend all monthly sessions.
- Arrive in a timely manner to all sessions and remain until the end.
- Actively participate in all aspects of the leadership program
- Compose thank you notes to presenters.
- Complete the required program application and submit form in a timely manner.
The Class of 2023 participants Lee Davis from The H.T Hackney Company, Ashley Hataway from Covington Electric Cooperative, Johnny Lacey from Opp Housing Authority, Sarah McClung from White, McClung, & Barber, Malori Mitchell from Mizell Memorial Hospital, Kristen Peavy from All-In Credit Union, Destiny Rowell from Grit + Grind Coffee, Morgan Smith from Southern Independent Bank, Kyle Sparks from RCA Trucking, Chad Sutton from LBWCC, and Anna Worley from Covington Electric Cooperative.
For more information email Executive Administrator Joni Lolley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Opp and Covington County Chamber of Commerce at 334-493-3070.