SHS beats Ashford

Published 12:45 am Saturday, October 23, 2010

After getting off to a slow start, the Straughn Tigers clawed their way to a 21-0 shut out in the final region contest against the Ashford Yellow Jackets Friday night.

Both defenses came out and battled strongly in the first half.

Before scoring the only touchdown of the half the Tigers had a bit of a time holding onto the ball, fumbling the ball away on the four previous drives.

The Tigers defense was just as solid as the Yellow Jackets first half defense with the Tigers keeping the Yellow Jackets off the scoreboard in the first half by forcing four punts, two lost fumbles and a missed field goal. Rhett Riley was the Tiger responsible for recovering both fumbles.

Straughn would find the end zone once in the first half and twice in the second half, and the Tiger defense did their part, allowing only 102 total yard from the Yellow Jackets and keeping them off the scoreboard – even with the Tigers offense turning the ball over on its first five possessions.

The lone touchdown of the first half was scored when Tigers senior quarterback Josh Dewrell fooled the defense by faking the pitch. He then scampered 7 yards untouched and followed it up with a successful extra-point to give the Tigers a 7-0 lead with under 30 seconds in the first half.

The Tigers came out of the gates hot to start the second half, driving the ball 65 yards in a little more than five minutes for the second touchdown of the game. The drive was aided by a roughing the kicker penalty on a 25-yard field goal attempt that gave the Tigers new life.

Zack Turvin capped off the drive by throwing a 10-yard touchdown pass to Jacob Ganous on a trick play where Turvin took a pitch from Dewrell before throwing the ball to a leaping Ganus in the end zone. The extra-point was no good giving the Tigers a 13-0 lead with 6:39 left in the 3rd.

After the Tigers defense forced a pair of punts the Tigers offense was able to find the end zone for the final time Friday evening with a 1-yard dive up the middle by Dewrell that capped off a short 24-yard drive. The two-point conversion was successful with Dewrell finding a wide-open Turvin for the two points to give the Tigers the final score of 21-0.

The Tigers sealed the win on the Yellow Jackets next possession when Austin Pickrel picked off a Yellow Jacket pass.

Dewrell ended the night with 25 carries for a total of 97 yards and two touchdowns. The Tigers ended the night with a total of 290 yards.

“Our defense played outstanding tonight, they are what kept us in this game,” said Straughn head coach Trent Taylor. “We turned the ball over five times in the first half; you just aren’t supposed to win those.”

With the win the Tigers clinched the No.2 spot in the region with a record of 8-1(7-1). The Tigers will play Daleville next Thursday night for the final game of the season.