Saints top Bishop State in conference play

Published 12:00 am Friday, January 23, 2015

Eric McIntosh  floats to the basket in Thursday's win.

Eric McIntosh floats to the basket in Thursday’s win.

The LBW Saints (9-7) knocked off conference foe the Bishop State Wildcats (6-11) 59-51 Thursday night in Andalusia.


The Wildcats jumped out front 2-0 on a quick score by Maurice Irby.


The Saints then went on an 8-0 run getting points from Eric McIntosh, Phillip Mouzon and Troyce Manassa to give the Saints an early 8-2 advantage.


The Wildcats ended the run with a 3-pointer from Irby, and then a 2-point jumper from Aaron Bryant to cut the Saints’ lead to 8-7.


McIntosh then got the next 4 points for the Saints to put them up 12-9.


The Wildcats then took the lead after three trips to free throw netted them 5 points, and a 14-12 advantage with 10 minutes left in the opening half. The Wildcats wouldn’t trail again in the first half.


Kenneth Keith put the Saints within 1 point after a 1-for-2 trip to the free throw line.


The Wildcats increased the lead to 17-13 when Remonda Harris knocked down a trey with nine minutes left in the first.


Manassa cut the lead back to 2 points before the Wildcats pushed it up to 20-15 with eight minutes left in the first.


The Saints kept it within striking distance thanks to Manassa, Keith and Calvin Spencer. Manassa went 4-for-4 from the free throw line in the final minutes of the first half. Keith made basket while being fouled, and proceeded to sink the free throw for an old-fashioned 3-point play.


Following Manassa’s last free throw, the Wildcats held for the final shot of the first half. Bryant drove the lane hard for the Wildcats, and sank a layup with three ticks left on the clock to give them a 31-24 halftime lead.


The Saints came out on fire in the second half, and McIntosh got the scoring started right away with a short jumper. Janard Estell got his first basket of the game following McIntosh.


After a turnover by the Wildcats on the other end of the floor, Estell picked up the ball and went coast-to-coast for a layup. Estell’s layup brought the Saints within 1 point.


The Saints then took the lead with 17 minutes left in the second half. Lamarcus Frazier made a nice move and shot to give the Saints a 32-31 lead.


The Wildcats tied the game up at 32-32 following a 1-for-2 trip to line by Donnell Childers.

McIntosh then gave the lead back to the Saints, nailing a short jumper while being fouled. The ensuing free throw completed the 3-point play to give the Saints a 35-32 lead.


The Saints would go on to defeat the Wildcats 59-51.


With the win, the Saints move into third place in the South conference with a 3-2 record in conference play. The Wildcats fall to 1-4 in conference play,


Manassa led the Saints with 19 points. McIntosh finished with a solid 12 points. Estell tacked on 8 points, and Keith totaled 7 points. Frazier and Mouzon each finished with 4 points. Marquise Neal and Quadarius Spence added 2 points each, and Nick Green capped the scoring with 1 point.


The Saints travel to Enterprise Jan. 26 to face Enterprise State. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m.