McGlaun tapped as next RLHS principal
Red Level High School students will see a different, yet familiar face this fall after Randy McGlaun was hired as principal at RLHS by the Covington County Board of Education on Tuesday night.
McGlaun replaces Johny Odom, whose retirement resignation was also accepted at the meeting.
McGlaun starts as principal at RLHS effective July 1. He served as principal of Fleeta School for the last two years. Prior to that, he worked as an assistant principal at Pleasant Home, and was a social studies teacher at Red Level.
In other business, the board:
• granted permission to search for bids to replace the dishwasher at Straughn Middle School;
• approved the continuation of participation in the state food purchasing program;
• approved the increase of school lunches for the 2015-2016 school year. The price increases are as follows:
–paid student lunch from $2 to $2.25;
–adult employee lunch from $2.60 to $3;
— visitor’s lunch from $3 to $3.50;
— paid student breakfast from 75 cents to $1;
— adult employee breakfast from $1.25 to $1.50; and,
— visitor’s breakfast from $1.25 to $1.50.
This was the first price increase of school lunches for the county school system since the 2010-2011 school year.
The board also accepted the petroleum bid from Crew Distributing Company out of Opp;
• accepted a bus bid of $75,104.01 each to purchase five Southland International buses;
• allowed any school to hold summer school;
• accepted the retirement resignation of Lowmack Griffin as custodian at RLHS effective July 1;
• accepted the resignation of Jennifer Michelle Trull as elementary teacher at Straughn Elementary School effective at the end of the 2014-2015 school year;
• accepted the retirement resignation of Priscilla M. Bell as assistant lunchroom manager at SMS effective June 1;
• accepted the retirement resignation of Rusty Andrews as mathematics teacher/coach at Straughn High School effective at the end of the 2014-2015 school year;
• approved the transfer of Ramona Linette Thomas from mathematics teacher at SMS to mathematics teacher at SHS effective at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year;
• approved the transfer of Drenia White Holland at her request from English teacher at SHS to instruction specialist effective at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year;
• accepted the retirement resignation of Carolyn S. Batchelor as bus driver at SHS effective June 1;
• approved fiscal year 2015 amendment No. 1;
• distributed financial reports; and,