Couple learned of fire en route from UAB

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, January 2, 2018

A Gantt Lake couple whose home burned to the ground while they were on the way home from UAB hospital say they are coping, and don’t need help beyond what they have received.

John and Ann Dubose were the owners of the home in the Sims Subdivision on Gantt, and had it built in 1997.

John is retired and Ann works as a nurse’s assistant at the Andalusia Manor.

“That was home,” Ann said.

Ann spent two weeks at Andalusia Health after her blood pressure was bothering her while she was at work. She then transferred to UAB and she stayed a week there. Eventually, they learned she had a tear in her intestines.

“They said I got worse on the way to UAB, and they just doctored me for the tear and sent me home,” Ann said.

But on the way home, Ann’s son got a call from her youngest son, who’s involved in fire and rescue.

“He said ‘The house is burning.’ and we asked ‘How do you know?’ He said, ‘I’m watching it right now,’” she said.

The couple has been placed in a hotel for up to 42 days, Ann said. But the Duboses remain positive.

“Right now, there’s nothing anyone can do for us,” Ann said. “We just have to keep positive. We’re going to clean up what’s left out there and we’re planning to pull a trailer temporarily.”

The house was determined a total loss.