County board recognizes students, teachers
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, April 4, 2018
The Covington County Board of Education recognized several students, teachers and coaches from area schools on Tuesday night.
- Coach Troy Stewart,from Florala High School, for advancing the boys’ varsity basketball team to sub regionals.
- Coach Jerry Davis, from Pleasant Home School, for advancing the volleyball team to area champions, Super South Regional Champions and Elite 8 in the state tournament.
- Coach Tony Wilson, from Pleasant Home School, for coaching the girls’ basketball team to become area champions, sub-region champions and south regional runner-ups.
- Coach Tony Turman, Pleasant Home School, for coaching the boys’ cross country team to become state meet qualifiers.
- Melanie Carpenter, Red Level Elementary School, for being one of four teachers recognized throughout the state as a “Shooting Star” in the field of education.
- Taj Patel, Straughn Middle School, for winning second place at the statewide spelling bee.
- Coaches Daniel Rodgers and Shanda Gordon, Straughn High School, for coaching the volleyball team to regionals.
- Hannah Lawless, Straughn High School, for all state volleyball.
- Coaches Stephen Bowne and Ramona Thomas, Straughn High School, for coaching the cross country team to state competition.
- Abigail Thomas, Straughn High School, for all state cross country.
- Coach Scott Kinsaul, , for coaching girls’ basketball to sub-regionals.
- Allie Kelley, for all state basketball.
- Grace Philpott, Straughn High School , for placing first in backstroke at the South Regiona Competiton and advancing to state competition.
- Jeremy Odom, Will Patker, Abby Philpott, Erin Philpott, Kelsey Grimes and Kaitlynn Varner, of Straughn High School, for honor band.
- Abby Philpott, of Straughn High School, for being the Andalusia Area Chamber of Commerce student of the year.
- Straughn High School Jag Bowl team, for placing first at the South District Competiton and advancing to state competition.
- Kristen Brazwell, of Straughn High School, Covington Electric National Youth Tour Winner.
- Nicholas Thompson, Makeaela Pate, Brenton Wood and Barry Piland, all of Straughn High School, for placing third place in the LifeSmarts state competition.