Straughn softball hosting annual Kirsten Dean Memorial Tourney
Published 11:00 am Thursday, March 3, 2022
The Straughn High School softball program will once again hold its annual Kirsten L. Dean Memorial Softball Tournament this Friday and Saturday.
SHS holds this tournament every year in memory of Kirsten L. Dean, who was a student and softball player for Straughn. Dean was involved in a car accident in April 2004 and passed away due to her injuries. The Lady Tiger softball program decided to honor Dean with a tournament at the school, which first began in 2005.
The 2022 tournament will begin with a round-robin format and transition into a single-elimination bracket. All six teams will be seeded for bracket play based on the following criteria in order: overall record, head-to-head, runs allowed, runs scored.
In addition to Straughn, five other teams will compete including local county teams Andalusia and Red Level. Carroll-Ozark, McKenzie, and Zion Chapel will round out the tournament field.
The round-robin schedule for Friday, March 4 is as follows:
- Red Level vs. Straughn, 3 p.m.
- Andalusia vs. Zion Chapel, 4:30 p.m.
- McKenzie vs. Carroll-Ozark, 6 p.m.
- Straughn vs. Carroll-Ozark, 7:30 p.m.
The round-robin schedule for Saturday, March 5 is as follows:
- Red Level vs. Zion Chapel, 9 a.m.
- Andalusia vs. McKenzie, 10:30 a.m.
Single elimination bracket play will take place Saturday following round-robin action. The higher seed will be the designated home team for each game, which is as follows:
- Game 1 – Number one seed vs. number six seed, noon
- Game 2 – Number two seed vs. number five seed, 1:30 p.m.
- Game 3 – Number three seed vs. number four seed, 3 p.m.
- Game 4 – Game 2 winner vs. Game 3 winner, 4:30 p.m.
- Championship – Game 1 winner vs. Game 4 winner, 6 p.m.