City Council eyes street upgrades behind AHS
Published 7:30 am Wednesday, February 15, 2023
Andalusia city leaders will apply for grant funding to assist with street and sidewalk improvements for an area between Andalusia High School and the MLK Jr. Expressway.
Representatives of Southern Engineering presented to members of the city council a plan to combine projects along Henderson Street and Coleman Avenue into a single grant application to the Alabama Department of Transportation. The plan includes creating a four-lane entrance off the bypass with a median, sidewalks and lighting. Henderson Street would be included with resurfacing and drainage improvements.
The estimated cost of the combined projects is $712,000 with the grant providing $250,000. The city’s local match would be $462,000.
Other items discussed during the council meeting held Tuesday, Feb. 7 included:
- approving the re-appointment of Seth Hammett as a member of the utility board. Hammett was appointed to fill a vacant position and this will be his first full six-year term on the board.
- approving an agreement with the City of Opp for taking in stray cats at the animal shelter. The agreement states the Andalusia Animal Shelter will take 100 cats from Opp at a cost of $3,000 per year. If the number of cats exceeds 100, Opp will be charged $50 per cat. Andalusia Police Chief Paul Hudson said taking in the additional animals should not pose a problem for the local shelter.
- approving an ABC retail off-premise beer license for Express Lane 3, located at 1901 E. Three Notch St.
- declaring as surplus property a boom lift and street sweeper for the city’s public works department.
- approved a final payment of $105,000 from a bond account as reimbursement for the top-floor renovations of the Prestwood Building on the downtown square. CDG Engineering will occupy the space when completed.
The next city council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 21, 6 p.m., at city hall. A work session begins at 5:30 p.m. The public is invited to attend these meetings.