Tigers down Eagles

Published 11:36 am Monday, October 13, 2014

By Michael Henderson

Red Level outscored Pleasant Home 28-6 in the second half as the Tigers tacked on their second win of the season over the Eagles in a 42-20 decision at Bobby Dye Stadium.

The Tigers and Eagles were tied 14-all at the break after a back-and-forth first half.

RL took its opening kick and down to the 29-yard line, where quarterback Jon Lee started a reverse play to Wesley Holley for a touchdown with 8:06 in the first quarter. The Tigers decided to go for the 2-point conversion, and with a pass from Holley to receiver Jeffrey Perdue, the Tigers led 8-0.

On the ensuing kickoff, Pleasant Home began a slow progressing drive to the end zone, where junior Reid Adams would take it up the middle for a touchdown. With the PAT, the Eagles would trailed the Tigers 8-7 with 10:36 left in the half.

On the Tigers second drive, Lee took the sideline for a 26-yard gain on the play.

RLS head football coach David Godwin called for a pass on the next play, and Holley scrambling with no open receivers, was forced to run and gained another 26 yards to put the Tigers in the red zone. Holley then handed off to Lee up the middle for a 10-yard touchdown. RLS led 14-7 with 8:02 left in the half.

A turnover by RL gave PHS good field position when Hunter Price recovered the ball on the 50-yd line. A 15-yd pass from Garrett Barton to Price would set them up closer to the end zone, but the drive would end with a turnover on downs at the 30-yd line.

Later on, Barton threw an 18-yard pass, which would give the Eagles the motivation they needed for the drive. Barton completed a 10-yard pass to DJ Veasey for a first down, followed by a 28-yard pass to Brandon Alvashire, setting them up on the 10-yard line. A touchdown pass from Barton would tie the game 14-14 at halftime.

In the second half, Lee ran it up the sideline for a 40-yard touchdown to make it 20-14 with 7:06 in the third quarter with an unsuccessful 2-point conversion.

Pleasant Home tried to make a come back when Barton saw Veasey open 25 yards down field, but the pass was blocked by Holley. The drive would then result in a turnover on downs.

The Tigers would take the turnover and hand the ball to Lee, who drove down field for a 61-yard touchdown. With a pass to Worley, the 2-point conversion was good and the Tigers led 28-14 with 4:31 left in the third.

Barton connected with Price for a 67-yard touchdown pass to make it 28-20.

On their next drive, the Tigers fumbled the ball and would lose possession to the Eagles after they recovered. Pleasant Home would then fumble and recover it themselves but, would punt shortly after. The two teams would trade punts for the next three drives.

Pleasant Home would fumble once more before it was recovered by the Tigers. The next play, Lee took it in from the 10-yard line. Holley passed to Lee for the 2-point conversion. He bobbled it, but was able to grab it as he made it into the end zone to help put the game out of reach.

Lee added one more TD after a fumble recovery.